When was the last time you were about to make a turn into a road with a Salik toll gate and considered whether there was a toll-free alternative? Have you ever considered the possibility that Salik gates might not always deduct the toll as you pass through?
The Salik gates do not have any toll-free days, whether it is the weekend or a public holiday, according to Salik, the toll road operator in Dubai. There are, however, a few circumstances in which you might be able to cross a gate without paying the toll. Here is everything you require to know.
When is Salik free?
While Salik isn’t open on weekends or holidays, you can use the Al Maktoum Bridge on Dubai Creek at certain times of the day when the Floating Bridge, the other route, is closed to motorists.
Free timings for Al Maktoum Bridge toll gate:
- From 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. on weekdays, there is no charge at the Al Maktoum Bridge toll gate.
- On weekends, the bridge is free of tolls from Saturday at 10 p.m. to Monday at 6 a.m.
Mamzar toll gate
Al Mamzar North and Al Mamzar South are the two entrances of the Mamzar toll gate on Al Ittihad Road. You will only be charged once if you pass through both the North and South Mamzar toll gates within an hour.
Can one avoid the Salik toll gates?
The free GPS (Global Positioning System) navigation app “RTA Smart Drive” from Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) includes a unique feature that enables drivers to “avoid toll roads” while planning their route. How to utilize the service is as follows:
- From the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, download the “RTA Smart Drive” app.
- Open the app, then choose the fourth option—a road icon—from the menu bar at the bottom of the smartphone screen.
- After that, choose “Go to Search.”
- Choose “Navigate to” from the menu.
- Then, you must press the settings button on your mobile device’s right side and choose the “Toll Roads” option under the “Avoid on Route” heading. Even avoiding highways completely is an option.
- Press “OK,” and “RTA Smart Drive” will calculate your route.